Access statement for Derwent Edge self-catering cottage
in the village of Portinscale, in the Lake District.
Derwent Edge is a stone built, terraced cottage situated in the quiet village of Portinscale, just 15 minutes flat walk from Keswick. It accommodates up to four guests in two bedrooms.
Pre – Arrival
The key code and directions are sent out to guests on receipt of the final balance.
- Shop – Keswick (Booths – turn right at the little roundabout just as you go into Keswick)
- Defibrillator is located in the disused phone box in Portinscale. Turn left at The Farmer’s Arms and the phone box is about 400m on the right.
- Garage – On the right, just as you go into Keswick.
- Post Office – Keswick. On the left by the first set of traffic lights as you go into the town.
- Bus Stop – Opposite The Farmer’s Arms pub or back to the main A66 road and immediately on your right.
- Train Station - Penrith 18 miles
Arrival and Parking Facilities
- There is one allocated parking space approx.15m to the rear of the cottage, suitable for one large or two small cars.
- The parking area is level gravel. Guests then need to go down 4 steps with a handrail and a short, very slightly sloping path, to get to the rear door.
- The main access is from the back of the cottage (as above). The door key is in a key safe on the outside of the back door. The key code and directions are sent out to guests on receipt of the final balance. The code needs to be put into the key safe which is at approx. 147 cm from ground level.
- The outside rear door is 80cm wide and the inside rear door is 71cm wide.
- A second entrance is at the front of the cottage which is accessed via a side gate (opposite the side of the pub) and then a gentle slope down to a paved patio area. Once through the front door there is a small step down into the living room.
General Internal Features
- The living room is at the front of the cottage and leads straight through into the kitchen and back porch.
- The entire cottage is carpeted, except for the kitchen, porch and bathroom.
- Mains driven smoke alarms are fitted both downstairs and upstairs and there is a dry powder fire extinguisher and a smoke blanket located in the kitchen. A mains driven carbon monoxide sensor is fitted in the sitting room.
- There is a 3 piece suite (sofa is 2 seater); moveable circular table and 4 chairs; TV and DVD player; 2 small coffee style tables; central dimer lighting and 2 lamps;
- Heating is provided by an electric radiators and a gas fire (this is inspected by a specialist gas engineer annually)
Kitchen and Porch
- The kitchen is very well equipped with electric cooker, micro-wave oven, dishwasher, washing-machine, fridge, electric kettle, slow cooker and toaster.
- The porch is suitable for leaving wet weather gear or for pets – the flooring is vinyl.
- A store cupboard with a small freezer and cleaning equipment is in the porch area.
- There is a toilet with small hand basin near the back door.
- Stairs, with a handrail on one side, lead up to one double bedroom, complete with fitted wardrobe and dressing table and one twin bedroom.
- There are electric radiators in both bedrooms.
- This leads off from the landing and consists of a bath with overhead shower, WC and hand basin.
- There is also a heated towel rail.
- A fitted cupboard provides extra storage space.
- Flooring is vinyl.
- Apart from the actual flight of stairs, there are no other steps in the upstairs area.
Grounds and Garden
- A paved patio with garden furniture is accessible from the living room and a further raised garden area, suitable for sitting out, is accessible by using the short path and 2 steps, which lead up from the patio.
- The property is strictly non-smoking and the use of candles are prohibited.
- Pets (maximum 2) are accepted by prior arrangement
- Children of any age are welcome
- Free WiFi is available